• Children in foster care receive free lunch without an application
• Children in foster care receive school supplies
• Children in foster care, who are bus eligible, have access to transportation
• Children in foster care have fees of bus pass waived if they will be riding a school bus
• Foster parents have access to information and referral to community and governmental resources, to include counseling and mental health options
• Our district identifies barriers and gaps in services, in order to support children in foster care and their families
• Enrollment, withdrawal and records transfer of children in foster care is efficient and effective
• Our campuses are informed and respectful of the academic and social/emotional needs of children in foster care and are seen as advocates for their success within our district
STREAMLINING THE ENROLLMENT PROCESSES FOR STUDENTS IN FOSTER CARE
• Children in foster care are entitled to immediate enrollment at a new school or district.
• CPS caseworkers are required to enroll a child in school within 3 days of a child being placed or moving to a new school district.
• The caseworker has up to 30 days to provide all necessary enrollment paperwork (to include birth certificates).
• If a birth certificate is missing, records from the school most recently attended and or immunization records, legal documents, court orders, or Placement Authorization forms can be used to prove identity or verify information about the student.
INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR ENROLLMENT
• Identity of parent or legal guardian/legal authority (foster parent or designated caregiver, CPS caseworker or other staff, CASA or student’s guardian ad litem, residential facility staff, child placing agency staff)
• Proof of residency (utility bill, lease agreement)
• Proof of child’s identity (birth certificate or other acceptable document)
• Immunization records (provisionally enroll if immunization records are incomplete)
• School records from last school attended
• For children under age 11, records from ALL of student’s previously attended schools