Benefits counseling provides the opportunity to meet with our trained Benefits Specialist for assistance applying for SNAP Food Benefits, TANF, and medical coverage, including Medicaid, CHIPs and Health Texas Women.
In most cases, an interview will be required to verify your information including income, household situation, residency, assets, resources etc. If you cannot apply in-person or cannot attend the interview face to face, clients are allowed to mail or fax your TANF application and do an interview over the phone.
Texas TANF Eligibility Requirements
- You must be a US Citizen.
- Children must be citizens or have eligible alien status.
- You must have a social security number.
- Your family must earn less than a certain amount of money per month
- Children must be 18 years old or younger. If you are older than 18, you must be a full time student with an expected graduation date before the age of 20. - Families must have a child under 18 living in the home.
- Pregnant women are eligible for TANF during the month before their due date. So, if they are due 2/28 they could apply 1/1. If they were due 8/2 they could apply 7/1.